Fitness, Food and Friends – Magna Vitae
The Project will involve sessions within the community which bring people together to learn about ways in which they can help themselves to improve physical and mental wellbeing. By holding the sessions in accessible venues close to where people live we aim to improve participant’s connections with their communities and increase their social connections and friendship networks.
Sessions will be delivered in 12 week blocks and the content will include:
- Physical activity (gentle sessions ran alongside other information)
- General nutrition advice, plus specific subjects depending on the needs of the group’s participants. Some practical cooking will come under this theme.
- Links to smoking cessation, alcohol, gamble aware brief advice and signposting. This will depend on the need of participant and may link into other projects, such as the new Integrated Lifestyle Service from Lincolnshire County Council . This service covers East Lindsey with special emphasis on the deprived coastal areas of Skegness and Mablethorpe.
- Mental health and wellbeing, and will include strategies for maintaining good mental health and improving that which may be problematic.
- Sleep – the benefits of good sleep patterns and strategies to enable healthy sleep hygiene.
- Food nostalgia and cooking on a budget.
- Intergenerational – for some sessions we will look at sharing skills and knowledge with younger groups if there is the demand for this. For example, we will look to work with the ECO Centre in Skegness where sessions will be delivered outdoors where there may be opportunities for older people to share practical skills with younger groups.
The project will engage participants with discussion and practical participation to provide information which will enable them to improve their wellbeing in a social environment such as in a community hall, or leisure centre.
These 12 week courses have taken place in community venues including Wragby, Holton le Clay, North Somercotes, Skegness Saxon Fields and Chapel St Leonards.